- 1lb cooked chicken, shredded (simple roasted chicken recipe here)
- 1/4 cup homemade "Mom's Taco Seasoning" (recipe to follow)
- 2/3 cup water
- 1 T carrot puree
- 1 can pinto beans
- 1 cup shredded cheese
- flour tortilla shells
- Start by bring the water and taco seasoning to a boil. Stir in carrot puree and chicken, reduce heat and simmer about 10 minutes.
- While chicken simmers, pour beans into a food processor or blender and puree, adding water as needed.
- Mix beans and cheese into chicken mixture and remove from heat.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Warm your tortilla shells in the microwave until they are flexible enough to work with. All microwaves are different but I do this by stacking them on a microwave safe plate, cover with damp paper towel and heat on high for 30 seconds. (I have a super power microwave :)
- Spoon about 1 to 2 tablespoons of chicken mixture in a line down the center of a tortilla shell. Leave a space about 1/2" from each end of the tortilla. Roll up and place, seam side down, on a foil lined baking sheet. Repeat on remaining tortillas.
- Spritz the tops of the tortillas with a little heart healthy oil and place in the oven for 15 to 20 minutes, or until lightly browned.
- Serve with sour cream, salsa or guacamole.
MOM'S TACO SEASONING
Mix together the following ingredients:
- 6 t. chili powder
- 5 t. paprika
- 4 1/2 t. cumin
- 3 t. onion powder
- 2 1/2 t. garlic powder
- 2 crushed beef bouillon cubes or 2 t beef bouillon granules
- 2 t corn starch
- 1/2 t crushed oregano
- cayenne powder to taste
To use, mix 1/4 c. seasoning with 2/3 c. water and simmer with 1 lb. cooked meat of choice.