My kids LOVE chicken strips and nuggets! I'm sure any parent reading this can identify! I hate how unhealthy frozen and restaurant ones are for my kids. This is my recipe for homemade, oven ready, frozen chicken strips. I adapted it from a Jessica Seinfeld "Deceptively Delicious" recipe. You can change the amounts depending on how many you want to make.
- Cut up several chicken breasts or tenders into to kid-friendly size strips. I used 4 small to medium sized breasts. Place them in a bowl and lightly season with salt, then cover with milk (I used skim). Let sit in refrigerator for 30 minutes or so.
- Lightly beat together an egg (I used a fresh egg from my friend Lisa) and some pureed spinach.
- In another bowl (or ziploc baggies) mix together a cup or so of panko bread crumbs, a dash of onion powder, a dash of garlic powder, a dash of paprika, 1/4 cup ground flaxseed, a touch of salt and a handful of grated parmesan cheese.
- Pat chicken with paper towel to remove excess milk and dip in egg mixture then coat in bread crumbs.
- Pour a heart-healthy oil into skillet (enough for the chicken to fry in) and warm over medium heat (may need to adjust heat depending on your cook top).
- Cook chicken until golden brown and no longer pink. Be careful not to crowd the pan. Drain on paper towels. If you plan to freeze them, take special care not to over cook them! Remember, you will be heating them again!
- If you want to freeze them, lay them out on a sheet pan in a single layer. Place in freezer and when they are frozen solid, put them in a freezer baggie. You could microwave them for a couple minutes or bake them in the oven, I would say 400 degrees for 10 minutes or so (depending on your oven).
They ended up so yummy and moist!
Post a Comment