Things that I have already altered over the past few years are:
- no soda in the house and only offered on special occasions
- no "junk foods" in the house and only purchased for special occasions
- 100% whole wheat bread and various other whole grain foods like crackers and pastas
- real, unsalted butter - it has ONE ingredient, cream. how many ingredients does your margarine, butter flavored spread have?
- I have been paying closer attention to labels and ingredients when making purchases
- I use heart healthy oil, such at extra-virgin olive oil. I have been using canola oil too, but I have learned somethings about it that makes me think it's not a great choice. I will be looking into different options and keep you updated
- NO artificial sweeteners!!! Sugar may not be good for you, but it's a heck of a lot better than some chemical that was created to taste sweet! Notice I said artificial ... that is not the same as natural sugar substitutes like honey, agave, stevia, xylitol etc.
COMING NEXT WEEK! (week of Jan. 29-Feb. 4)
I am going to be showing you the SUPER easy way to roast a whole chicken that I recently learned from a friend, and how to make your own chicken broth so that you can control the amount of sodium! I did this a few weeks ago and it was a huge hit in my house! No more bags of frozen chicken "pieces"!
I will also give you at least one healthy recipe to make from your freshly roasted chicken. My fridge is stocked with tons of fresh fruits and veggies just waiting for the cutting board! I can hear my new santoku knife calling me!!
Side note: There in nothing I love more in my kitchen than a great, sharp knife! I got an awesome santoku knife for Christmas and it slices through food (even carrots) like butta'!! Love it!!