This dish is one of my favorites! I got this recipe from my friend Hannah. She has brought it to our MOPS (Mothers of Preschoolers) group brunch a few times, and when I had my second child she brought it to us for dinner one night. It is so simple and yummy! It is even approved by my picky eater! It's definitely one of those, "about this much," "chop and add," and "if you want to use this or you can leave it out," recipes. Leave out the peppers if you don't like them, add more onion if you love it, add other stuff if you feel inspired! Do as I do, and make this recipe your own!
Gather Your Ingredients:
- 1lb mild breakfast pork sausage (could use turkey or chicken if you don't like pork)
- 1 small onion, diced
- 2 stalks celery, diced
- 1 small or 1/2 large green bell pepper, diced
- 4oz jar pimentos, diced
- 3/4 cup instant rice, white or brown
- 2 packets Lipton instant chicken noodle soup mix
- 4 cups water
- flour or corn tortillas for serving
- salsa, sour cream, chopped tomatoes ... your favorite toppings (if desired, I don't use any)
- This is a one skillet dish, so start with a large skillet with deep sides. Brown your sausage, drain the grease, and return to skillet.
- Add the onion, celery and bell pepper. Saute until the onions begin to become translucent.
- Add water, rice, pimentos and soup mix to skillet. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for about 7 minutes or until the water is absorbed, stirring frequently. I usually let it stand for about 5 minutes after removing from the heat.
- Warm your tortillas shells and serve with desired toppings.